On behalf of the President of Mexico, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, and Foreign Minister-designate Alicia Bárcena, I thank you for the generous invitation to participate in this meeting and wish to express to the Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Dominica, Hon. Roosevelt Skerrit, our best wishes in the development of his Chairmanship of the Conference of Heads of Government.
I also thank the Hon. Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley for the incredible hospitality of Trinidad and Tobago during this meeting.
Mexico joins in the celebration of CARICOM’s 50th anniversary and reiterates its commitment to the well-being and development of the Greater Caribbean region.
• We reiterate our willingness to set a date and venue for the V Mexico-CARICOM Summit as soon as possible.
• In the area of cooperation, we wish to expand the 14 projects that have been successfully executed with different member countries through the Mexican Agency for International Development Cooperation (AMEXCID).
• Promoting connectivity, trade and investment in favor of food and energy security in the Caribbean are of priority for Mexico.
• We appreciate the interest of several member countries on the litigation against gun shops in the USA. Mexico has taken note of the concern expressed by the Caricom membership to Vice President Kamala Harris on June 8, 2023 in Nassau over the increase in such trafficking from the United States of America, which contributes to crime and violence in the region, compromising its security and democracy.
• Mexico, along with CARICOM and other international allies, is joining efforts to find a solution to the political crisis in Haiti, through a solution agreed upon by the country’s main political and social forces.
Once again, sincere congratulations on 50 years of Caribbean integration and union.